Re: 10g Recycle Bin

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 Aug 2006 13:04:50 -0700

Michael42 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In Oracle 10g (10.2.02) on Sun Solaris:
>
> 1. Are there any down sides to using the Recycle Bin?
> 2. Does enabling it require any other services be running concurrently
> (like SMON, PMON services), if so what are the service(s) that support
> its functionality?
>
> Thanks,
>
> melliott42

Hi,

It's not a downside, but the segments that still physically reside in the tablespace will not show up in dba_extents. If you drop something, and need to shrink the datafile but keep getting the "file contains used bytes beyond requested size", check the recycle bin. That one got me a few months ago. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't shrink the datafile, as the file HWM (in DBA_EXTENTS) appeared to be much lower than the amount to which I was trying to resize it.

Regards,

Steve Received on Wed Aug 30 2006 - 15:04:50 CDT