Re: Monitoring of non production Databases

From: Andy France <andyATzespriDOTcom>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:06:19 +1200

joel garry wrote:

> Flo wrote:

>> Hello,
>> could you please advice on common practices for monitoring
>> non-production databases (such as development, test, training,
>> integration ....) ?
>> Due to a recent change of IT organization in my company, I'm now in
>> charge around 80 non-production databases (8i to 10gr2) located in 7
>> different countries. We already monitor production databases with
>> Entreprise Manager but the cost of Diagnostics Pack make management
>> reluctant to invest for non-crucial databases.
>> I don't need full monitoring capabilities but rather some simple
>> indicators such as availability and alert.log errors.
>> Before starting in elaborating homemade scripts full of bugs, I'm
>> interested in knowing if any of you know some good affordable (cheap)
>> tool ....
>> Thanks for your help.
>
> A decade ago I was a fan of http://www.bb4.org/ but I don't know what
> it is like now.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://trekmovie.com/2006/08/28/star-trek-tos-gets-redone-with-new-cgi/

These days you'd be better off heading over to...

http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/

For a far better replacement to Big Brother :-) You can then make use of the Hobbit client for log file monitoring, and take a look at some of the Oracle scripts on Deadcat for the rest...

http://www.deadcat.net.au/search.php?action=browse&sectionid=18

HTH,
Andy. Received on Tue Aug 29 2006 - 18:06:19 CDT