Re: Changing a stored procedure in a package (newbie)

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 29 Aug 2006 13:37:56 -0700

google_at_easiesttoremember.com wrote:
> I'm new to Oracle, but not to databases. I've got a package with many
> stored procedures in it. Is it possible to change just one stored
> procedure without having to resubmit a script with absolutely
> everything in the package also in the script?
>
> If the answer is that we have to resubmit a script with the entire
> package contents, then is there a way to retrieve a current snapshot
> script from the database, assuming that no one kept up with or someone
> lost or messed up said script?
>
> TIA
You can operate entirely with scripts and invoking them via command line sqlplus.

However, many people prefer to operate in a GUI when testing and developing PLSQL.

Traditionally oracle didn't provide a strong GUI against PLSQL and Toad and/or SQL Navigator or SQL Developer ( from allroundautomations ) were 3 third party products that worked well in that environment.

However today oracle provides a new tool called SQL Developer ( that overlaps in the name space with the tool from allroundautomations ) that does provide a GUI for doing PLSQL development and there's no additional cost ( beyond your oracle license for the database side ).

Toad is still very popular ( www.quest.com ) but pricey.

Yes you can retrieve the code from the database. To change a procedure inside a package you need to work with the package body aka "almost the whole package". Received on Tue Aug 29 2006 - 15:37:56 CDT