Re: Basic question :)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:05:48 -0700

DrewEHarris_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hello...I have a question for my Database class that I can't find on
> the web if someone could be so kind:
>
> List some examples of database applications and explain the differences
> in terms of the number of users and row size.
>
> If someone could just explain the differences between Oracle, DB2, SQL
> Server, and Access, that'd be great (number of users and row size).
>
> -Drew

Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, and Access are not database applications in the normal sense of the phrase. SAP, eBusiness Suite, JD Edwards, and PeopleSoft are.

There is no relationship between any of these products or database applications, and the number of users or the size of a row. What your instructor asked was basically the equivalent of "Why does a mouse when it spins?"

If you instructor doesn't like my answer have him or her contact me at the University of Washington (email address below).

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington