Re: Datapump and read only database

From: Lothar Armbrüster <lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:17:43 +0200

"Steve Howard" <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Lothar,
>
> Are you using exp for backups? I ask because you can do a hot backup
> of a standby database, offloading the job from the primary server.

[...]

Hello Steve,

yes the export is indeed part of out backup strategy. Since most reasons for restoring some data from backups are user or application errors, I most likely need to restore singe tables or groups of tables. AFAIK this is only possible with exp/imp but not with rman. In my (admittedly limited) understanding of rman, the smallest restorable unit is a tablespace or a single datafile. So a hot backup (using rman) is a good idea for recoveries after hardware failure but if errorneous software scrambles just a few tables, I need exp/imp.

Regards,
Lothar

--
Lothar Armbrüster  | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de
Hauptstr. 26       |