Re: Is Database Up?

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2006 09:03:16 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> Please explain what overkill (except for reading yet another manual)
> is associated with using OEM.
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

You want to add another host to install a management service to monitor what *may be* (we still don't know) one database that may not be that important from a business perspective? Maybe all that matters to them is that they check once an hour (or even less) to see if is up.

My point is you didn't have enough knowledge of his/her situation to suggest they "stop building their own OEM". It's not *always* about posters not reading the manuals, and it's definitely not a one size fits all world. Not every shop in the world works like yours or mine.

Regards,

Steve Received on Tue Aug 29 2006 - 11:03:16 CDT