Re: urg pls help... migrate problem.....

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:28:09 GMT

peter wrote:
> Hello Expert,
>
> I am trying to migrate oracle 8i (8.1.5) to oracle 9i (9.0.1) on window
> XP sp2.

Oracle 8i is not certified to run on Windows XP Pro.

> According to documentation I am doing all steps but I am facing in
> starting.
>
> shutdown database with internal user.
>
> 1) Install oracle 9i (9.0.1).
> 2)on dos prompt made new password file in (Oracle 9i)
> ORACLE_HOME/database/pwdhhh.ora.
> orapwd file="d:\oracle\ora90\database\pwdhhh.ora" password=dx

Why create a new password file? Can't you just copy the password file from one ORACLE_HOME to the new one?

> 3) oradim -delete -sid hhh
> 4) oradim -new -sid hhh -intpwd dx
> 5) set oracle_sid=hhh
> 6) sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
>
> then I am getting error here insuffi. privs.
> then I connect with sys/dx as sysdba

In your parameter file, what value do you have REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE set to? It should be set to EXCLUSIVE if you are using a password file. Else, set it to NONE. This assumes you are not running RAC, in which case it should be set to SHARED.

> I changed parameter in parameter file like add db_cache_size
> but it is not able to recognise this parameter.

How do you know it does not recognize this parameter? If you cannot connect "/ as sysdba", then how are you even getting to NOMOUNT stage where the parameter file is read?

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net