New to Oracle: DDL in EXECUTE IMMEDIATE question

From: <google_at_easiesttoremember.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2006 08:18:44 -0700

Don't cringe just yet!!

I'm new to Oracle (but not databases). I'm fully aware of performance problems with dynamic sql and I never - EVER - use DDL dynamically in an application.... and I'm not planning to now.

Keeping the above in mind, I have a purely technical question.

Does it make a difference whether a table, view, or stored procedure is created with "EXECUTE IMMEDIATE"? I'm not talking about executing the DDL from within an application every time I need the object... I mean, executing it once and only once... EVER. After the object is created, when I then create an application that uses the previously (once only) created object, does this object have poorer performance than those created in a more customary fasion?

Challenge: See if you can answer the question without trying to get into a discussion of *why* one would even think about doing it. I'll be happy to provide that, but after reading the posts here, I'd prefer to not get drawn off target into a discussion that doesn't answer the primary question. The answer to the question will determine my direction forward in my project. I am not an advocate of dynamic sql, especially DDL, so you don't have to try to convince me it's generally a bad idea. My question is specifically about performance *AFTER* the one and only one time creation.

Without going too deeply into why I'm asking the question, I'll just say (for now, unless you really really want to know), that because of the unique nature of my current project, it's actually easier and quicker to create my objects using EXECUTE IMMEDIATE than not. Just trust me, for the moment, that it's easier. To comfort those of you biting your nails right now, let me say that I will most definitely not create the objects with EXECUTE IMMEDIATE if it hampers performance later on.

Thanks! Received on Tue Aug 29 2006 - 10:18:44 CDT