Re: urg pls help... migrate problem.....

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2006 05:39:08 -0700

peter wrote:
> Hello Expert,
>
> I am trying to migrate oracle 8i (8.1.5) to oracle 9i (9.0.1) on window
> XP sp2.
> According to documentation I am doing all steps but I am facing in
> starting.
>
> shutdown database with internal user.
>
> 1) Install oracle 9i (9.0.1).
> 2)on dos prompt made new password file in (Oracle 9i)
> ORACLE_HOME/database/pwdhhh.ora.
> orapwd file="d:\oracle\ora90\database\pwdhhh.ora" password=dx
> 3) oradim -delete -sid hhh
> 4) oradim -new -sid hhh -intpwd dx
> 5) set oracle_sid=hhh
> 6) sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
>
> then I am getting error here insuffi. privs.
> then I connect with sys/dx as sysdba
> I changed parameter in parameter file like add db_cache_size
> but it is not able to recognise this parameter.
>
> as well as
> when I try to startup nomount with sys getting error insuff. privs.
> Please tell me what is the wrong step and what else step I can take to
> start it in nomount stage with new parameter.

First, if this is truely an urgent problem, newsgroups are not the place to be asking for help.

Second, which version of Windows XP -- home or pro? I don't believe Oracle is certified on home. Certainly not any 8.x version of Oracle. If this is XP-home, and it is a production database .... your shop is in worse shape than mine. If it is not a production database, then this is NOT an "urgent" problem. If it is XP-Home, since it is not certified, you're pretty much 'SOL.'

Third. If 'sqlplus "/ as sysdba"' returns 'insufficient privileges' it means you are not logged on to the server with an account that is a member of the local ora_dba group. You must fix this before adressing the rest of the problems. Received on Tue Aug 29 2006 - 07:39:08 CDT