Re: RHEL AS 4 + Oracle 10g : 32-bit or 64-bit ?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 28 Aug 2006 17:16:29 -0700

Matthias Hoys wrote:
> Both RHEL AS 4 and Oracle 10g for Linux exist in 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
> Suppose we have 64-bit x86 compatible hardware, what would be the advantages
> of choosing 64-bit OS and Oracle instead of 32-bit ? We don't need a bigger
> than 1GB SGA, so are there any other advantages regarding performance ? Any
> online tests/benchmarks somewhere ?
>
> Matthias

This might give some questions to research: http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/performance/pdf/Oracle%20on%2064-bit%20Linux.pdf

There may be some performance degradation if you are memory limited, as equivalent 64 bit code may simply require more memory. Of course, X86 memory might be cheap (or not, if it has problems).

This tends to be more than made up by the increase in compute speed. Even if you don't have math-intensive operations, remember that Oracle has to compute a lot of things in the normal course of events, including SGA housekeeping and what blocks to deal with in I/O and all the stuff SMON and PMON have to do...

Also, if the app grows significantly, you don't have to do an upgrade later. Nothing hurts performance like a system down.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"There may be a business for Oracle to do a Linux version." - Josue