Re: No more Oracle Standard Edition for VMS

From: Dave Froble <davef_at_tsoft-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:41:22 -0400

> In article <u7v6hp3RVqqH_at_malvm9.mala.bc.ca>, nothome_at_spammers.are.scum
> (Malcolm Dunnett) writes:
>

>> Perhaps I'm missing something, but my experience is that
>> unless you're running huge databases where things like
>> partitioning become critical there's not much need to
>> use Enterprise Edition and that not having Standard
>> edition available for VMS eliminates the feasibility of
>> being able to use this rock-solid OS as an Oracle server
>> platform unless you have very deep pockets.
>
> How much money and work would it be for you to move to Rdb?

I believe that earlier Malcolm state that they moved from RDB to Oracle Standard to save money. That Oracle charges the Enterprise Edition prices for RDB.

I believe that selling RDB was one of DEC's biggest mistakes. With the prices DEC had for RDB, they could be very price competitive with Oracle on other platforms, or, force Oracle into a price war.

DEC didn't need Oracle classic on VMS nearly as much as Oracle needed the price of RDB raised, by a factor of 5 if I remember correctly.

--
David Froble                       Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc.      E-Mail: davef_at_tsoft-inc.com