Re: No more Oracle Standard Edition for VMS

From: Malcolm Dunnett <nothome_at_spammers.are.scum>
Date: 28 Aug 2006 07:55:56 -0700

In article <ecumc3$cs6$1_at_online.de>,

    helbig_at_astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:

> How much money and work would it be for you to move to Rdb?

    Rdb costs the same as Oracle Enterprise Edition, so there'd be no direct financial benefit to switching back to Rdb.

    When I stopped running Rdb the SQLNet for Rdb product was pretty new and had some glitches in it, but assuming they're ironed out now I could probably convert to Rdb without too much technical difficulty. Unfortunately it would be cheaper and easier to move the Oracle Standard Edition database to a Unix/Linux platform. While I believe that VMS offers an excellent platform to host the database I doubt I could justify the cost of staying with it if that means having to move to Enterprise Edition or Rdb.

    Just another "un-leveling" of the VMS playing field. Received on Mon Aug 28 2006 - 09:55:56 CDT