Re: Basic question :)

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:19:53 -0600

<DrewEHarris_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1156712192.392634.271370_at_m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...
> Hello...I have a question for my Database class that I can't find on
> the web if someone could be so kind:
>
> List some examples of database applications and explain the differences
> in terms of the number of users and row size.
>
> If someone could just explain the differences between Oracle, DB2, SQL
> Server, and Access, that'd be great (number of users and row size).
>
> -Drew

On DB2 V9 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows, the maximum number of users that can be connected is 64000 per database. However, the DB2 Connection Concentrator can be used to support an even larger number of connections (only allowing a specified number to be active at any one time). There are other Connection Pooling software packages that provide similar functionality for application tiers (to allow almost unlimited applications using a finite number of database connections).

In DB2 the maximum row size is 32,677 bytes. However, this does not include space used for BLOB, CLOB columns, which are stored separately from the row data. These columns take up some small amount of space in the row to provide a pointer to their location outside the row. BLOB and CLOB columns can be up to 2,147,483,647 bytes each.

You can see all the DB2 limits at the website (search on "SQL and XQuery limits"
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9//index.jsp Received on Sun Aug 27 2006 - 16:19:53 CDT