Re: Oracle Upgrade Question or Issue?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:39:52 GMT

amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a question or concern about our recent upgrade from 9.2.0.4 to
> 9.2.0.7.
>
> Our tech group is running the upgrade. They ran the patchset 4163445,
> which is the upgrade from 9.2.0.4 to 9.2.0.7.

After applying this patch, did they run the catpatch script? This is fully docuemented in the patch instructions.

> Following that they ran the patches 4533592 & 5049060. The patch
> 5049060 aborted with some error. When the enter SQLPLUS is says it is
> version 9.2.0.5.

Care to elaborate on "some error"? It could be just about anything....

> So, I have to go into work and look at what the error was. What my
> concern is, is that although I can rollback the patches, can I rollback
> the upgrade? It seems that it was not applied properly if it still
> shows 9.2.0.5. Can I re-run the upgrade again? Will it corrupt
> things if I run the upgrade again? It is like installing Windows on
> top of itself, where you can do it many times?

Have you read the documentation that came with the patchset? In it is a set of instructions on how to roll things back. Additionally, one should not apply any patch or patchset without having a good backup of the database *and* the $ORACLE_HOME directory. That way, you can revert your database *and* the Oracle software to a known "good" point.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net