Configuring Oracle for JDBC

From: <jmecc_at_telus.net>
Date: 27 Aug 2006 10:28:11 -0700

Configuring Oracle for JDBC

I am trying to set up a Linux (I am using Fedora Core 4) server with Oracle 10g on it but can't seem to be able to connect to it using JDBC. I don't know how to get my machine to respond to a specific name, but can ssh into it from within my own network by using:

ssh jmecc_at_192.168.0.110

so I am trying the same with my JDBC connection string:

"jdbc:oracle:thin:@192.168.0.110:1521:test"

I modified the listener.ora file to

LISTENER =
   (DESCRIPTION_LIST=
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=jbox.jdomain)(PORT=1521))
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC1)
   )
)
SID_LIST_LISTENER=
   (SID_LIST=
(SID_DESC=

         (SID_NAME=test)
         (ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1)
         (PROGRAM=extproc)
      )

   )

and started this service using lsnrctl. I still get a "The Network Adapter could not establish the connection" error though.

The problem may be in the DB setup though, as I can't login even using sqlplus from accounts that are not part of the 'oinstall' & 'dbus' groups. The 'oinstall' group gives too many permissions, so I shouldn't give this out to other users and anyway I don't know if a JDBC connection even assumes any particular user profile.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jo Received on Sun Aug 27 2006 - 12:28:11 CDT