Re: Hints in Practice

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 01:08:34 GMT

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1156543440.320624_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com...
>>> So is Oracle's use of NULL. And there is no workaround. So is Oracle's
>>> security model with roles, and system and object privileges. So is
>>> Oracle's transaction model. So is Oracle's MVCC. If you make the choice
>>> to use Oracle ... then embrace Oracle.
>>>

>> These are architectural differences. You don't bring all these with you
>> when moving to a different platform.
>
> So don't bring the hints. No one forces you to keep hints while
> using the other product's definition of NULL.

Don't bring the hints? That's easier said than done. No one has to force you. You cannot bring the hints, period.

>>> Do reads not blocking writes violate things? How about writes not
>>> blocking reads? And as pointed out by others here Oracle is not the
>>> only RDBMS with hints? There is no place to hide. If you don't like
>>> them ... don't use them. It isn't worth the energy you are putting
>>> into this.
>>
>> Again, you are missing my point. We are talking about portable code here.
>
> No you're not. You just dismissed the fact that NULL, transaction models
> and locking are completely different as being irrelevant as though they
> don't affect code portability but hints do? Please reconsider what you
> are saying.

I said nothing about NULL or locking. Those are some of the many new topics you brought up.

>> Yes, DB2 also has hints, but they do not require the change of SQL.
>
> And Oracle's hints do? How?
>
> The following is perfectly valid Oracle syntax:
>
> SELECT /*+ Bob Jones is making an argument that doesn't hold water */
> table_name
> FROM user_tables;
>
> And if you don't believe me ... copy it into SQL*Plus.

It appears you have nothing better to say. I don't know you don't have a clue or just in denial. Received on Fri Aug 25 2006 - 20:08:34 CDT