Re: Oracle Patch Question

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:41:45 GMT

amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Do the Oracle patches that are released contain all the previous
> patches?
>
> I mean, say I have Patch A, Patch B and Patch C. I can install Patch
> C, which included Patch A & Patch B.
>
> Or, do I need to install all the patch sets?
>
> Just wondering, I was asked this today at work.............
>
> Thanks.

A patchset contains all fixes from the previous patchset. And the quarterly Cumulative Patch Update (CPU) contains all fixes from the previous CPU. However, there are "one-off" patches that Oracle supplies to fix very specific problems. Other one-off patches do not necessarily contain previous fixes. So if you apply a one-off patch, you will want to work with Oracle Support to see what you need to apply when you apply future patches.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net