Re: high through put system

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:20:01 -0400

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:47:17 +0200, Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>Mind you: I don't say developers using bind variables don't exist.
>Somewhere out in the wild they must be running, maybe somewhere in
>Australia, but in the Netherlands I only see (irrespective of firm)
>blatant lack of knowledge of Oracle.

I got our developers to use bind variables a long time ago.. In fact, using binds is one of the first things they learn when they join the company. they use PL/SQL too, they even use some of the new SQL functionality. for a DBA it's never enough :), they don't use bulk, but in 10g that's automated in the background by oracle (if I remember correctly). I wish they finally learned to modify tables instead of adding tables, as well as tuning their own queries (allright, at least they know that too many 'consistent gets' is bad).

To them I say: your application is crap (b/c it still crashes once in a wihle, and it's a homegrown pro*c app), but your crap is better than 90%+ of the code out there. I guess you just confirmed that.

-andrey
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3
remove NSPAM to email Received on Fri Aug 25 2006 - 09:20:01 CDT