Re: How do you pronounce?

From: Dave <solomons_dad.w.marks_and_whom_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:43:40 +0100

Andy Hassall wrote:
> On 24 Aug 2006 10:14:51 -0700, "EdStevens" <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> David, Daniel, Gazzag, et.al ... let's not be too hard on the OP.
>> Sometimes these things have a way of developing their own
>> pronunciations within a given industry, and he just didn't want to come
>> off sounding like a 'fred' (cycling term) in his office.  In fact, I'd
>> guess his post was prompted by a 'lively' discussion on that very
>> subject.

> Possibly more controversial - varchar2 - is the "ch" as in character ('cos
> that's where it's from) or chariot ('cos that's how you'd read it in
> isolation)?
>
> (Chariot for me.)

Personally I pronounce char as the *word* char (as in singe*), which uses ch as in chariot.

What I don't understand about varkar (both ar as in car) is why the consistency rule is only applied to the k and not to the ar in var which comes from variable and the a in char which should also be pronounced as it is in character (i.e. short, like the a in cat). Surely if the ch should be pronounced k, then the whole word varchar should be pronounced something like vaircarrot without the final ot. Good luck pronouncing that last "r", which is explicitly pronounced in the original "character" so there's no dropping it or opening it out as in cartoon.

So for all out there who call it a varkar (both a's long), either apply the rule consistently and call it a vaircarrot without the final ot or stop being such a nerd.

*no, not monkey, as in je ne donne pas l'oncle d'un singe. Received on Fri Aug 25 2006 - 03:43:40 CDT