Re: fooling EM setup into using a different host name

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:18:06 +0200

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 03:15:33 -0400, NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net> wrote:

>Our hostname is 'sun'
>However, the database listens on 'orasun' (so that we could fail it
>over to another host)
>I've tried playing with configs, but I just don't really know what to
>change.
>Is there are a way to make the initial setup use a different host
>name? I tried setting up HOST and HOSTNAME env variables, but that
>didn't help
>
>Thanks
>We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3
>remove NSPAM to email

There is an article on Metalink discussing physical and virtual hosts. I really don't have the Doc ID handy, but I know exists. If there is anything that can be done, it needs to be done via aliasing the host name in /etc/hosts
like
192.168.0.10 sun orasun

I have the feeling though your current set up is a home-grown workaround.
Ordinary failover uses virtual IP and virtual hostnames. Home-grown workarounds like this are probably doomed to fail.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA