Re: Encrypting data witth TDE Oracle 10g

From: <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Aug 2006 01:10:42 -0700

Fred schreef:

> So, have you a paper which explain how to encrypt column (and not just
> a string) with DBMS_CRYPTO. Should we use HASH with DBMS_CRYPT on each
> column.

As you can see from the demoes Daniel Morgan suggested, you cannot. You must make a call to DBMS_CRYPTO for every row. Encryption as well as decryption!

> How we do the link between user, key management, with DBMS_CRYPTO ? we
> want to use certificate , is it possible with Oracle ?

That's your descision - it's your design. Certificate use is possible, but
I do not know if it is possible in combination with DBMS_CRYPTO.

Why use (expensive) certificates anyway? A certificate just for the purpose
of encryption locally, in a database, seems awfully overkill to me. Certificates come in play when you want to prove to the user you are who you claim you are. Or you want proof, the user is who the user claims to be. Received on Fri Aug 25 2006 - 03:10:42 CDT