Re: Hints in Practice

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 02:42:44 GMT

"joel garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:1156459179.786861.292990_at_p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...

> DA Morgan wrote:
>> Bob Jones wrote:
>> > "Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Hmmm, I wonder why there are so many use of hints only in Oracle
>> > applications.
>>
>> Not in the ones I write or manage. That is certainly not my
>> experience.
>
> I read that as Oracle Applications (the products, not applications in
> general). In which case, I'd say, a lot of the code predated optimizer
> features and bugfixes, and perhaps some was written in ignorance of,
> well, what Oracle experts know now.

Actually hints exist in both Oracle Applications and applications in general. I have not seen any hints in DB2 apps because DB2 does not have hints for use in the SQL.

Oracle has not been very clear about the hints. They just make them available for use and the list of hints is getting longer every version.

> That could be said of any large
> system that's been around for a while, so for Bob to use it to imply
> that since Oracle does it, Oracle is saying everyone should, is wrong.
> Aside from that, it is a good point, unless Oracle is rewriting every
> application. Wouldn't that be the "Fusion" thing Larry goes on about?

No, I was saying the exact opposite. I said hints in the SQL should be avoided at all cost. Read my posts. Received on Thu Aug 24 2006 - 21:42:44 CDT