Re: Speed between database and apps server

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 01:18:12 +0100

On 24 Aug 2006 16:27:43 -0700, "howard" <pkowal74_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a single Oracle instance running on it's own physical machine.
>Three indentical 10g Application Web Servers with the same J2EE app are
>load balanced to connect to the database.
>
>What I see are speed problems with the website and what I suspect may
>the connection betwween the apps servers and the database. Right now
>they connect over 100MB switch ports.

 What reason do you have for suspecting the network connection to be the cause for the performance problem? How did you measure it?

>Does anyone have any sugeestions on increasing the speed between the
>two?

 Isn't this question premature? Until you know what the cause of the performance problem is, you can't solve it.

 If it actually is the network that's the bottleneck, you have only posted half of the important information about the network - there's bandwidth (100MB) and latency (not posted).

 You need to profile the application - J2EE is not my area so I can't suggest how to do that.

 You also need to profile the database - statspack is the first port of call to find the most costly statements. Other more sophisticated methods may be available depending on your database version.

--
Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool