Re: "select count('x') from BigTable" takes more than 1 minute !

From: Big George <jbeteta_at_gmail.com>
Date: 24 Aug 2006 16:35:03 -0700

> What is the business case for this exercise? Do you want to find out
> how to trash database performance?

No. This exercise is because when I make a query joining with other tables, it takes around 1min 30 secs.
Like:

    select field1, field2, field3...

     from BigTable , OtherTable
     where BigTable.NumID = OtherTable.NumID (+) -- It's needed to
write (+)

And I think it's so much coincidence that a simple Count('x') on BigTable is about the same amount of time.

OtherTable has 1 million records. "Select count('x') from OtherTable" takes 4 secs.

> slow? You need to realize you are probably replacing the entire buffer
> cache multiple times.

Do you think is there any other way?

Thanks! Received on Thu Aug 24 2006 - 18:35:03 CDT