Re: How do you pronounce?

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Aug 2006 10:14:51 -0700

devjnr_at_gmail.com wrote:
> How do you pronounce defining records?
>
> I mean
>
> declare car_rec tabcars%rowtype
>
> How do you pronounce "%rowtype" ?
>
> Thx to all.

David, Daniel, Gazzag, et.al ... let's not be too hard on the OP. Sometimes these things have a way of developing their own pronunciations within a given industry, and he just didn't want to come off sounding like a 'fred' (cycling term) in his office. In fact, I'd guess his post was prompted by a 'lively' discussion on that very subject.

My first IT job was as a cobol programmer on IBM s370, using CICS. In that shop it was pronounced 'see-eye-see-ess'. The first time I heard someone from another shop pronounce it 'kicks', I had no idea what they were referring to.

I've almost always heard the native unix text editor vi pronounced 'vee-eye'. Recently I had a technical interview by telephone and was asked "are you familiar with vi?' (pronouncing it a single-syllable word 'vi', with a long 'I'). After I had to ask them several times to repeat the question, they finally said 'vee-eye' and I knew what they were talking about. Received on Thu Aug 24 2006 - 12:14:51 CDT