Re: A hint on indexes to avoid table access full

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:18:41 -0700

alex.malgaroli_at_gmail.com wrote:

>> Obviously Oracle has decided the cost of using your indexes is higher
>> than not using them. In addition to running proper EXPLAIN PLANS post
>> the DDL for the indexes and verify the validity of statistics gathered
>> using DBMS_STATS.

> Actually, as long I'm not a DBA... most of this "statistics",
> "dbms_stats"... sound familiar to me but I don't know how to enable
> them.

This has nothing to do with being a DBA. This is something every developer should know and understand. DBMS_STATS is a built-in package with execute granted to public.

Documentation at http://tahiti.oracle.com Demos in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org

> I only wanted to be
> sure that on production environment where the db will be shared with
> other applications, that table access could not result in performance
> decrease or unnecessary high db load.

You can't be sure of anything: Ever! Do you have a test environment?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington