Re: Replication performance - how to measure it ?

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 24 Aug 2006 08:50:25 -0700

mjan_at_interia.pl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> could you please advice on how to measure replication performance
> in Oracle, DB2 & MS SQL Server RDBMS installed in Windows servers ?
> I've got two servers with databases installed and configured,
> I prepared set of data using DBGEN from TPC and I already imported them
> into databases.Also, I configured the replication.
> Now I have to do a test with a few kind of replications method
> implemented in these RDMBS, but I don't know which tool or reports or
> "v$iews" should I use to measure replication performance.
> The replication is configured only between the same RDBMS, I mean
> Oracle <-> Oracle, DB2 <-> DB2 and MSSQL<-> MSSQL.
> Most of applications are great for checking performance of local DB,
> not for replicated/distributed.
> I've found description of CA Unicenter Database Performance Management
> for distributed RDMBS, and I think it could be the right one, but I
> can't find any demo or trial version :(
> Could you please advice any place to download it, or other application,
> script, description, just whatever.
> Perhaps just any other idea how to check the replication mechanism
> efficiency ?
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Any answer you might receive regarding Oracle depends upon which replication mechanism you choose and which release of Oracle you're using. Absent such information it's difficult, if not impossible, to supply an answer.

Since you can't, or won't, supply the above mentioned information take a trip to http://tahiti.oracle.com and start reading the documentation for the replication mechanism and release you're using. Monitoring instructions are usually included in these docs. I could provide information for Streams on 9.2.0, (and possibly 10.2) but the dearth of information in your post, as well as having my own work to complete, causes me to send you to the manuals. Should you decide to provide more detail I, or someone else in this newsgroup, could possibly supply a better response to your question.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap. Provide to us, we can provide to you. It's that simple.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Aug 24 2006 - 10:50:25 CDT