Re: No more Oracle Standard Edition for VMS

From: Malcolm Dunnett <nothome_at_spammers.are.scum>
Date: 23 Aug 2006 15:22:50 -0700

In article <0yXtZtTvgSOR_at_eisner.encompasserve.org>,

    Kilgallen_at_SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) writes:

>>    The fascinating thing is that there is an Oracle 10gR2 Standard
>> Edition for Tru64 Unix. So an O/S that HP has declared as dead gets
>> a port but an O/S HP says has a future doesn't. Hmmm...

> So it might be a matter of effort required (Tru64 being Unix).

  My understanding (from Oracle sales literature) is that Standard Edition is built from the same code base as Enterprise Edition, they just disable certain features. So if they're going to produce an Enterprise Edition for VMS I can't see it being a great deal more effort to also produce a Standard Edition ( other than a bit of packaging and testing ). As of Oracle 9 they haven't produced a separate "Standard Edition" distribution, it's just an option on the Enterprise Edition distribution kit that you select during installation - so there's no concerns about maintaining multiple kits.

> As I recall Rdb was priced to match the comparably featured
> Oracle Classic, meaning high-end.

   Correct, Rdb is priced identically to Oracle Enterprise Edition (or at least it was last time I looked)

   Actually we used to be an Rdb shop, but we moved away from it, because of cost and to be more "compatible" with the industry. Received on Wed Aug 23 2006 - 17:22:50 CDT