Dataguard recovery - corrupted log files

From: <James3678_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2006 14:23:12 -0700

First things first:

I tried to do a search and did not get my answer. We have a case open with Oracle
Oracle 9.2.0.7 Primary and Standby in Maximum performance mode Distance about 1000 miles, 4-5 Mb/second redo activity 12 Mb shared data line
Set to ASYNC transport, but drops into ARCH regularly

We were doing DR testing and disconnected the primary and attempted to recover the standby (managed recovery). The last archive log did not get applied, so we attempted to apply it manually. This gave a message that the archive was corrupted and rendered the DB unusable.

Anyone seen this before?

Oracle recommended not trying to apply any logs manually beyond what dataguard applied. This works, but we lose one or more archive logs.

Is zero data loss unrealistic with the distance we are transferring?

Does zero data loss effectively require maximum protection mode?

Anyone have any experiences along these lines?

Thanks much,

James Received on Wed Aug 23 2006 - 16:23:12 CDT