Re: No more Oracle Standard Edition for VMS

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:15:15 -0700

Dave Froble wrote:
> Malcolm Dunnett wrote:

>> In article <1156309756.359226_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>,            DA
>> Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> writes:
>>> I would argue that Standard Edition is not mission critical for
>>> you as you can always substitute Enterprise Edition. What may
>>> matter is the cost of the license. And here is where you need
>>> to invite back that lovely sales rep and ask them how hard they
>>> can work, between now and license renewal time, to get that EE
>>> license to match the cost of the SE license.
>>
>>     I'm investigating that angle. Perhaps something can
>> be worked out but there'd still be the ongoing software support
>> costs to be considered, ie what will the cost delta be over
>> the next 5 or 10 years?
>>
>>     The other option is to get a linux box and move the SE licenses
>> to it. Of course neither of these solutions is as good as convincing
>> Oracle to keep offering SE on VMS.
>>

> Your problem is that you consider yourself locked into using Oracle.
> They know that you can run on Linux, probably cheaper than running on
> VMS, and that this will continue to appeal to you and they'll keep you
> as a customer. They don't give a damn about your desire to continue to
> run VMS. You need a non-Oracle option to possibly get their attention.

Perhaps DB2?
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/9/sysreqs.html http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v8/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.ii.doc/start/riios32b.htm

Or Informix?
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/support/

Or SQL Server?

Well there is always Sybase if you don't mind staking your future on an O/S and a database that are marginal. http://search.sybase.com/search/simple.do?keyword=VMS&Submit.x=11&Submit.y=12&Submit=Submit

Time to move on.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington