Re: No more Oracle Standard Edition for VMS

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:51:38 GMT

JF Mezei wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> Personally I'd move to Linux as fast as I could. Consider the
>> tremendous financial savings for support as well as the fact
>> that patches will show up far faster.

> If VMS management do not do something to keep Oracle on VMS and in fact
> grow its presence on VMS, I think it may in fact signal the true end of
> VMS. It will send a strong signal.
>
> Remember that there is that suppposed 10 billion buck fund to help port
> software. If HP isn't going to use any of it to help VMS, then it also
> sends quite a strong signal about HP's intentions with reagrds to VMS.
> With that 10 billion fund, you'd think tyhey would have already givenm a
> big grant to Tom Linden to port PL1 to VMS-IA64 already.

We went through a similar exercise many years ago with SGI. Oracle 8i was the end of the road for SGI IRIX and being a shop that works heavily with image processing, SGI was the preferred Unix flavor, so we ran Oracle on SGI for a number of years. We ended up talking with some SGI VP trying to get them to pressure Oracle Corp to continue supporting SGI for the future, but our efforts were to no avail. And if you look at SGI as a company, they are drifting more towards Linux these days.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net