Re: No more Oracle Standard Edition for VMS

From: Malcolm Dunnett <nothome_at_spammers.are.scum>
Date: 23 Aug 2006 10:53:34 -0700

In article <44EC91D1.41927978_at_teksavvy.com>,

   JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot_at_teksavvy.com> writes:

> If VMS management do not do something to keep Oracle on VMS and in fact
> grow its presence on VMS, I think it may in fact signal the true end of
> VMS. It will send a strong signal.

   Well Oracle will be keeping Enterprise Edition on VMS ( at least for the time being ), although as usual the port lags far behind other platforms.

> Remember that there is that suppposed 10 billion buck fund to help port
> software. If HP isn't going to use any of it to help VMS, then it also
> sends quite a strong signal about HP's intentions with reagrds to VMS.

   The fascinating thing is that there is an Oracle 10gR2 Standard Edition for Tru64 Unix. So an O/S that HP has declared as dead gets a port but an O/S HP says has a future doesn't. Hmmm... Received on Wed Aug 23 2006 - 12:53:34 CDT