Re: Encrypting data witth TDE Oracle 10g

From: <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2006 07:42:42 -0700

Fred schreef:

> Hi,
>
> You're right, just a different key by lines and not an algorithm.
>
> Is it possible and how to implement it ?
>
> In fact we want to encrypt an big entire database. advice for that ?
>
> Also, I don't see the difference between TDE and DBMS_CRYPTO.
> In one hand we crypt data into the database but user can see clear
> data.
> In the other hand how we can use DBMS_CRYPTO to encrypt data of all
> columns on one table ?

Any idea what TDE does? I'll tell you a secret: it stands for Transparant Data Encryption.
Transparant in a way, you can see the "clear data", but only when the Wallet is activated.
Try to query your data with the Wallet disabled. I have a write-up on TDE on
http://vanbortel.blogspot.com/2005_07_01_vanbortel_archive.html

DBMS_CRYPTO needs to be called for every insert/query; you can call it with a different key for eevry row - the problem I see is where to keep your keys; you hardly want to store them in the same row (as I suspect security is the issue here...)

>From what I understand, DBMS_CRYPTO is the only way to go. It allows
the use of a different key eevry time it is called, and so enables you to do what you propose.

But encrypting a whole database?!? Why? Is *all* your data worth encrypting? Received on Wed Aug 23 2006 - 09:42:42 CDT