Re: Hints in Practice

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:35:37 +0200

On 23.08.2006 02:41, Bob Jones wrote:
> That is correct. Oracle is about the only database I know uses explicit
> hints. That is not really a vote of confidence in their optimizer.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_fa-fz_4ox9.asp http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187713.aspx

IBM offers "hints" for DB2, although these seem rather backward (forging table statistics vs. explicitly stating indexes to use):

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dzichelp/v2r2/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.doc.admin/bjndmstr663.htm

You see, it seems not to uncommon to have hints as a DB feature.

Kind regards

        robert Received on Wed Aug 23 2006 - 06:35:37 CDT