Re: Installing RMAN

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Aug 2006 14:23:54 -0700

BS wrote:
> Guru's
>
> I installed a new 10g database and have an old 8i database. I'm trying
> to install RMAN on both of these so I can so a copy of the database
> from 8i to 10g.
>
> Any pointers to good documents / Sites that I can refer to for doing
> this other than the Oracle RMAN manuals?
>
> Thanks

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/toc.htm

Note that you should check and see if you are using DMT's rather than LMT's on the 8i database (Dictionary Managed Tablespaces). If you are using DMT's, you would best be advised to use import/export to avoid propagating strange old data distributions.

RMAN doesn't have anything to do with it, unless you intend to create a new copy of the database in 8i and upgrade it to 10g.

The exact release of 8i may be important, too.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
You'll wonder where the money went