Re: redirect listener log

From: astalavista <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:20:37 +0200

> You heart the bell ring, but do not know
> where it hangs (or similar, I try to transform a
> Dutch saying here).
> It's about redirecting the traffic, and inserting TCP/IP
> packets when a logon is ongoing.
>
> Patched in the January CPU, René Nyffenegger and Pete
> Finnigan wrote about it. Here's René's article:
> http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/blog/2006/01/24.php, for
> completeness, here's Pete's:
> http://www.petefinnigan.com/weblog/archives/00000699.htm
> --

      This is what I read (from Arup Nanda )

      Log File Redirection
      One of the breaches comes from the exploit available in the listener
code, in which case a hacker might change the log directory to something other than the default, and then use that to gain valuable information about the listener, the services, the database, and so on. In a more serious exploit, the hacker might direct certain commands to be placed in the trace files that creates a user and grants it a DBA role. These commands are then placed in the glogin.sql file, which is executed automatically every time someone on the server connects to the database using SQL*Plus. When the DBA logs in, the code is also executed, which creates this Trojan horse user. To prevent such an exploit, you should place a password on the listener. When the user tries to modify these values, the correct password must be specified. If the wrong password is supplied, the user gets a TNS-1190 error, which also goes to the log file. Here are two sample entries in the log file, when an incorrect password was issued: Received on Mon Aug 21 2006 - 14:20:37 CDT