Re: Oracle 10g and dbca

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 20:21:30 -0700

fmjohnson_at_gmail.com wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> fmjohnson_at_gmail.com wrote:

>>> Okay, I took a stab a creating the DB without the listener and oracle
>>> promptly reported the same issue, TNS-12154, followed by ORA-01031.
>>> Thoughts?
>> Then lets get down to basics.
>>
>> What operating system and have you verified kernel parameters if not
>> Windows?
>>
>> What is the value of the ORACLE_SID environment variable?
>>
>> What is the value of the ORACLE_HOME environment variable?
>>
>> What exact version of the database to at least 4 decimal points.
>>
>> Can you ping the server?
>>
>> Can you use TNSPING successfully?
>>
>> Post your listener.ora, sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org

> Okay, I did verify the kernel parameters, which are the standard
> parameters for oracle installations.
> # Oracle Configurations
> kernel.shmall = 2097152
> kernel.shmmax = 2147483648
> kernel.shmmni = 4096
> kernel.sem = 250 32000 100 128
> fs.file-max = 65536
> net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 1024 65000
> net.core.rmem_default = 262144
> net.core.wmem_default = 262144
> net.core.rmem_max = 262144
> net.core.wmem_max = 262144
>
> Oracle recommends that during the creation of the database, not to set
> ORACLE_HOME. I did set ORACLE_BASE, which is /u01/app/oracle.
> drwxr-xr-x 3 oracle dba 4096 Aug 19 11:26 u01
>
> My ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_SID=myhome. This is set in my .bash_profile file.
>
> The version of oracle is 10.1.0.3.
>
> I can ping the server. Also would like to point out that during the
> initial creation of the database, you don't need to create the
> LISTENER, as mentioned in the earlier post by
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA.

I normally use this:

net.core.rmem_default = 1048576
net.core.rmem_max = 1048576
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1

but I don't see that leading to where you are.

How about the equivalents of these?
cat >> /etc/security/limits.conf <<EOF
oracle soft nproc 2047
oracle hard nproc 16384
oracle soft nofile 1024
oracle hard nofile 65536
EOF cat >> /etc/pam.d/login <<EOF
session required /lib/security/pam_limits.so session required pam_limits.so
EOF cat >> /etc/profile <<EOF
if [ \$USER = "oracle" ]; then

   if [ \$SHELL = "/bin/ksh" ]; then

     ulimit -p 16384
     ulimit -n 65536
   else
     ulimit -u 16384 -n 65536

   fi
   umask 022
fi
EOF Though again I don't see them as the cause.

You can post your .bash_profile, I use generally use .bash_rc but again I don't see it as the issue.

what is the result of tnsping?
and are you sure ORACLE_HOME and your oinstall and dba groups are correctly assigned?