Re: Oracle 10g and dbca

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:39:57 -0700

fmjohnson_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Sybrand Bakker wrote:

>> On 20 Aug 2006 11:08:23 -0700, fmjohnson_at_gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I've encountered an unusual problem creating a new database using
>>> Oracle 10g dbca. Whenever I attempt to create the first and only
>>> database using dbca, it reports TNS 12154, and ORA-01031 errors. I have
>>> been using several resources on the web to perform this procedure to
>>> include Dizwell and Puschitz's sites to ensure that I have the precise
>>> procedures, and have shared this problem with my company's Oracle DBA.
>>> I am also a pretty experienced system administator and oracle
>>> administrator, but have been unable to resolve this problem. I have a
>>> new installation of CentOS 4.3, on a Dell 4100 dimension with 512MB
>>> memory. I successfully installed only the oracle software, Oracle
>>> 10.1.0.3. I then created the listener using netca, and then attempted
>>> to create the database using dbca. It immediately reported the
>>> TNS-12154 error, which I selected to ignore, but it is then followed by
>>> the ORA-01031-insufficient privileges error. Moreover, I have performed
>>> this operation succesfully on another machine. Any suggestions would be
>>> welcomed. What could I be missing?
>>
>> Usually one creates the database prior to setting up the listener.
>> The errors you are getting now, you are getting *because* the database
>> doesn't exist.
>>
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Okay, I took a stab a creating the DB without the listener and oracle
> promptly reported the same issue, TNS-12154, followed by ORA-01031.
> Thoughts?

Then lets get down to basics.

What operating system and have you verified kernel parameters if not Windows?

What is the value of the ORACLE_SID environment variable?

What is the value of the ORACLE_HOME environment variable?

What exact version of the database to at least 4 decimal points.

Can you ping the server?

Can you use TNSPING successfully?

Post your listener.ora, sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington