Setting up TCPS )TCP With SSL) - Oracle Wallet Manager

From: <dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Aug 2006 06:21:46 -0700

I am using Oracle 9.2.0.5 with Advanced Security Option. I have Oracle 9i client installed on a Windows Server 2000 and my database runs on HP UNIX 11i. Versions for client and server are the same.

I setup Wallet using Oracle Wallet Manager with Auto Login feature. Everything works great as long as run Oracle's commands such as sqlplus using the same OS Login which I had used to create Oracle Wallet. When I logon as something else and connect to database, I get following error as.

ORA-28786: Decryption of encrypted private key failed Marker => 1.3

I have read various Oracle documents, they all seem to indicate that one should run Oracle commands from the same os login which was used to create wallet. This is really annoying because I have many os logins who want to use tcps. I have several questions:

1.Instead of using Auto Login, is there a way to supply a wallet password as environment variable, then I can set environment variable in .profile (UNIX) or environments setting (on Windows). If it is possible, will this solution work? I am not using Oracle's http server or application server. I am only using Oracle Database Server and Oracle Client.

2. If I were to set Oracle Wallet's for multiple users, I am assuming I have to set them in different directories/folders and then set different sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora, so different TNS_ADMIN which is really really annoying. Is there an easier way?

3. On Windows I ran Oracle Wallet Manager using my admin account (e.g myadmin) which is a member of Administrators group. But when, I try to connect to database using tcps from applications which run using LocalSystem account, they all give ORA-28786 error. I know applications which run as services, one can change them to run as myadmin, but I have some applications which do not run as services.

How I do install (run Oacle Wallet Manager in particular), so wallet is created for LocalSystem account. Which Windows Os Login I have to logon as to run Oracle Wallet Manager commands.

Thanks a lot. Please answer all the three questions. Received on Sun Aug 20 2006 - 08:21:46 CDT