Re: External tables. Security concerns.

From: <artmt_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Aug 2006 14:20:56 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> artmt_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> > DA Morgan wrote:

> >> Not necessarily but my instinct would be to say H... no to FTP and I
> >> would need to know a lot more about what NFS mounting has to do with
> >> anything as it can only be done by root and you sure don't belong there
> >> from inside the database.
> >>
> >> If in 10g look at using DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER to get and put files.
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> >> (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> >> www.psoug.org
> >
> > OK. I have Oracle database on one machine and files that contain data
> > source for external tables on another.
> > If FTP or NFS mounting are not recommended, what other options do I
> > have?
> > My understanding is that DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER is for transferring files
> > between Oracle databases. Can it also be used for moving ASCII files
> > from a non-Oracle machine?

> DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER can be used to transfer your mother's cookie
> recipies. A file is a file is a file.

I must be missing something.

  DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER.GET_FILE(

   source_directory_object      => 'DB_FILES_DIR1',
   source_file_name             => 'USERS01.DBF',
   source_database              => 'REMOTE',
   destination_directory_object => 'DB_FILES_DIR2',
   destination_file_name        => 'USERS01.DBF');

In all examples that I have seen the remote location was identified as a dblink to the remote database as source_database and a directory object on that database as source_directory_object. This implies that the remote location (where the source file lives) must have an Oracle instance running.
What am I missing? Received on Sat Aug 19 2006 - 16:20:56 CDT