Re: Passing Table as Variable into Procedure

From: <artmt_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Aug 2006 08:12:00 -0700

lydonbergin_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for you help.
>
> What are the performance implications of this? This procedure will be
> updating certainly hundreds of thousands, and probably more like
> millions of rows.

Try the UPDATE on one of your large tables. See how long it takes. The fastest way to update a large table is via

CREATE TABLE TABLE2 AS SELECT COL1, COL2, My_Function(COL3) AS COL 3 FROM TABLE1;
DROP TABLE TABLE1;
RENAME TABLE2 TO TABLE1; With this approach you will also have to re-create indexes, constraints, grants, etc. Received on Sat Aug 19 2006 - 10:12:00 CDT