Re: RAC nodes regularly freezes for about 10 seconds

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 18 Aug 2006 05:50:49 -0700

Marcin Szarek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> For a few months we suffer mysterious problem with Oracle 10g RAC (more
> details on server configuration at the bottom). At regular basis (every 5
> minutes) nodes of our cluster "freeze" - during couple of seconds
> operating system for some mysterious reason does nothing - as far as we're
> concerned - in userspace. Every single userspace process stops for this
> period. After a few seconds system comes back to life and all suspended
> processes content for CPU time and other resources, which in effect leads
> to higher load.
>
> We tried many investigations, which brougt us to following conclusions:
> - when Oracle instance is stopped, freezes disappear
> - since the moment we reduced shared_servers parameter from 60 to 20
> freezes last unsignificantly shorter (about 4 seconds shorter)
> - after instance restart freezes are unnoticeable, but as times
> goes by, they are again as long as 6-9 seconds
>
> Unfortunately investigation is very hard. /var/log/messages reports
> nothing, dmesg reports nothing, Oracle alert log also has nothing to say.
>
> Have you any idea what may be misconfigured or damaged? Could you please
> suggest us some further tests?
>

> Thank you in advance for any followups!
>

> Database server characteristics
> OS: RHEL 3 ES
> Kernel: 2.4.21-32.ELsmp
> Oracle: 10.2.0.1.0
> Storage: SAN accessed by QLogic HBA
> Cluster storage: OCFS v.1

Three things off the top of my head. First, do you really need to run shared server? How many peak concurrent sessions does your system support?

Second, OCFS has it's own share of problems and is really being de-emphasized.

Third, if you are really running 10.2.0.1 you are missing a ton of maintenance from oracle. Received on Fri Aug 18 2006 - 07:50:49 CDT