Re: Corrupt current redo log file

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: 18 Aug 2006 02:24:26 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:

> I'm not saying there are no organizations with thinking so muddled but a
> metalink administrator can create and drop access accounts on-the-fly.
>
> If I have someone working on a project what do I gain by saying "here is
> access to my data and databases but I am going to deny you access to a
> valuable resource until you've been here 6 months and proven you don't
> need it."
>
> Does anyone work in a shop that thinks this way? I'm interested.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan

As a contractor, I've worked for plenty of organisations, and these people, sadly, exist. In my experience, they tend to be the least technically competent people who perceive anyone with more knowledge than them as a threat. I suspect that he's withholding Metalink access as some kind of method of deliberately putting the OP at some kind of disadvantage. Sad to say, but true, a lot of people I've worked with work for themselves before the organisation. That is to say, they care more for their own image within the organisation than actually working to give the organisation the best solutions possible.

I once worked at a place where the Unix Sys Admin (not entirely unlike Comic Store Guy in the Simpsons) deliberately avoided installing the "man" pages on any of the servers to "save space". Personally, I think he did it so he could often be seen by the management to appear to be the fount of knowledge within the department. Strangely, the "man" pages were installed on his own test server ;-) Received on Fri Aug 18 2006 - 04:24:26 CDT