Re: Noob Oracle Question

From: CJM <cjmnews04_at_REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:35:41 +0100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1155848818.606543_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com...
> CJM wrote:
>> Problem solved.
>>
>> I gave the user SELECT ANY TABLE privileges and the used the following
>> command:
>>
>> Select * from IFSAPP.MyTable;
>
> You solved a problem by gutting security? Why? Does your employer
> understand the implications of what you did? Do you?

I solved the problem. I may or may not have created another potential problem.

If my employer understood the implications of anything, I wouldn't be attempting this at short notice with no preparation or training.

Do I? Of course not. Surely if I did understand the implications (and they were negative) then I wouldnt have done it. That much *must* be obvious.

Rather than demonstrating how pompous you can be, why dont you start again from the beginning. Your post may go something like this:

'Chris, I can see that you have got past your problem, but I dont think your solution is ideal because of A, B & C. A better way to do it would be this way...because it avoids the disadvantages A, B & C and has the advantages of D, E & F.'

To why I would reply 'Oh, I see. Thanks. That makes sense.'

It's pretty easy. Why don't you try it?

Chris Received on Fri Aug 18 2006 - 03:35:41 CDT