Re: Oracle 10g enterprise on windows xp pro - startup problems from time to time?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 20:26:15 +0200

On 17 Aug 2006 04:36:45 -0700, "mathias.ringhof" <mathias.ringhof_at_googlemail.com> wrote:

>Any ideas? A colleague of mine always starts and stops his instances
>manually... somehow I start to realize why... ^_^

My primary idea is your colleague probably also never read any documentation, and so is equally ignorant and incompetent. Just like you, I guess.

If your registry keys have been set correctly, and you don't have a completely whacked system (which you probably do) then the Oracle service would shutdown the database for you. However, if the database doesn't shutdown in ora_shutdown_timeout seconds (defined in the registry), the database will be shutdown abort, causing recovery at startup .
Also an incorrect sys password (ie the sys password in the password file is NOT the same as the SYS password in the database) can cause problems. Errors are written in oradim.log, in alert<sid>.log etc.

If you for a change, would realize you come from the Evil Empire, and Oracle is not sqlserver from a different vendor, but actually a much better product, and would start reading those manuals, instead of whining here, you would actually learn something, and resolve the problem easily.
It was introduced by not reading the manuals in the first place.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA