table design for customer rates.

From: <zubairpam_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Aug 2006 01:55:55 -0700

Hi,

I'm developing a courier appln which contains the customer rates different for each customer.
i need to fetch the customer rates from the db. Each and every customer have different rates for the different countries, cities. I can't categarize into group bcos of variation in prices with customers. i give a sample price.

For eg: Cust A

Country          Doc                                       Parcel
                     First 500g   Addn 500g    First 500g   Addn 500g

USA
   LA             30              15                40             18

   NY            25               12               33             16
   Texas        33               16               38              21
   other         28               20               30             16

UK              28               20              30             16
SPAIN         27              17              33             17
FRANCE    18               10              26             19
ITALY        20               11              28              13

(max 10 -15 entries)

similarly for 'n' of customers i have seperate price lists varies depends on country.

currently, i'm using two techniques

  1. each customer have seperate tables
  2. two tables - one for (CourierType, TypeID)
    (DocFirstHalfKG, DocAddnHalfKG, ParFirstHalfKG, ParAddnHalfKG --> 01,
    02, 03,04) corresponding second table :
    (TypeID, Countries(rows starting from A to Z all countries like
    Algeria,Argentina... Zimbawbe), CustomerID)

If i use the first one, the database increasing tremendously. In the case of another, many fields are blank.

I'm looking for any best solution to the above problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Rgds,

Zubair. Received on Thu Aug 17 2006 - 03:55:55 CDT