Re: What can cause nologging?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 16 Aug 2006 22:02:08 -0700

cs charlie (nospam) wrote:
> I am using 9206 on Linux. There is only third party application on this
> database. Every once a while, there is some unrecoverable_change on some of
> the datafile, which does not belong to system tablespace.
>
> There is only some tables/indexes in sys schema which are nologging, all
> other tables/indexes are logging. Where could this unrecoverable operation
> be coming from? How could I eliminate them? Every once a while, I will
> have to rebuild my standby database.
>
> Thanks very much for your help.

This may be caused by direct path writes (direct path bulk loads or INSERT /*+APPEND*/.) You may want to force logging on affected tablespaces or the whole database: ALTER {DATABASE|TABLESPACE xxx} FORCE LOGGING. Oracle recommends setting forced logging for either the whole database or individual tablespaces, but not both. Database force logging mode takes precedence over tablespaces mode (that is, if the db is force logging, then all tablespaces are, otherwise individual tablespace settings are taken into account.)

Hth,

    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)     http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Thu Aug 17 2006 - 00:02:08 CDT