Serialization issue on Oracle 10g

From: <qixie1_at_gmail.com>
Date: 16 Aug 2006 17:04:59 -0700

Hello,

I did the following on a 10g serer and sometimes got an ORA-08177 error.

1.alter session ;
Session altered.

2.drop table test cascade constraints; Table dropped.

3.create table test (col_b varchar(4));
create table test (col_b varchar(4))
*

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1 ORA-08177: can't serialize access for this transaction

This doesn't happen on 8i or 9i servers and I know if I change the isolation_level to read committed the error won't happen.

Can somebody explain to me why this happens when setting isolation_level=serializable? I suspect this has something to do with 10g's new recycle bin option.

Thanks,

Harry Received on Wed Aug 16 2006 - 19:04:59 CDT