Re: Ora10g installed...now what ? :-)

From: Preston <dontwantany_at_nowhere.invalid>
Date: 16 Aug 2006 20:16:21 GMT

Fabio Cannavaro wrote:

> I installed Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition.
>
> I have to master this software :) Wow.
>
> I'm reading "Oracle Database 10g: a beginner's guide" and from what I
> can see the Oracle Enterprise Manager is different from what I have
> installed.
>
> I'm a totally newbie in Oracle but I come from Sql server 2000 (I
> know it quite well) and I know fundamental of databases...I think :-)
>
> During installation of Ora 10g, I inserted database name and
> credentials...and after installation, when I try to use OEM, I
> successfully log on this database.
>
> But what about create new one?

To create, manage or delete databases using a GUI, you use the Database Configuration Assistant (DBCA) which you'll find in your Oracle program group under Configuration & Migration Tools.

> In book I'm reading there is a tree structure in which I can see:
>
> "databases"
>
> --- "Ora10g"
>
> --- "Instance"
> --- "Schema"
> --- "Security"
> --- "Storage"
>
> --- ... (and so on)
>
> In my OEM, I log on my previously created database and I can see a
> different structure software:
>
> My OEM: http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myec9.jpg
>
> Book OEM: http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bookoemnp3.jpg

The OEM in the book is the 'old' style, which is part of the Oracle Client installation. So you'll need to download the 10g Client if you want to use that. At least I think that's the case - I've never seen it as an option in a server install of 10g, but then again I've never really looked for it.

You may also want to install SQL Developer - http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/sql/index.html It's a good way of seeing what objects make up the database, & handy for playing with SQL/Packages etc.

I suggest you read the Concepts guide before you go much further - it'll save you a lot of grief in the future, & answer your other questions.

--
Preston.