Re: Oracle security roadmap

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:43:01 GMT

Ben wrote:
> I in herited several 9.2.0.5 Ent Edition databases running on aix 5.2.
> The previous dba didn't keep any kind of documentation on security. So
> now I have a long list of users and roles and no real good idea of what
> role is for what user and how our security in general was approached. I
> created a couple of new tables the other day and then found out that
> the correct roles didn't have privledges granted accordingly and they
> couldn't been seen until I did that. I need to know how to get a good
> picture of our security setup. Is there a sql statement that is
> typically used to give a good outline or road map of a db security?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Ben

Querying the Data Dictionary can help you see what a user has been granted. The following is a small list:

DBA_USERS - Shows the users in your database
DBA_ROLES - Shows the roles in your database
DBA_ROLE_PRIVS - Shows the roles granted to users or other roles
DBA_TAB_PRIVS - Shows the object-level privileges granted to users or roles
DBA_SYS_PRIVS - Shows the system-level privileges granted to users or roles

Finally, go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and click on your version. From there, read the Security Guide for a better understanding of how Oracle handles security. The Reference Guide lists details on the Data Dictionary views I listed above, as well as many others.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net